Sunday, January 15, 2012

Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

Well, it is mid January and winter has made a fashionably late arrival in this prairie burg.

For many of us, that means it’s time to hibernate and enjoy some time reading, watching TV, crafts – not to mention some cooking and baking! That often means comfort foods, but comfort foods can also get switched up with some wonderful flavours!

January generally means some great deals on citrus! In the past, I’ve posted a few recipes that include lemons or oranges: Orange Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies; dn's Lemon Chocolate Chip Muffins; Citrus Baked Salmon and Veggies.

Today, I’m going to share my Orange Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe. I’ve been making this recipe for years. I honestly don’t recall where I got the original one from, though there are some similarities to the Orange Bran Muffins on page 28 of Company’s Coming Muffins and More by Jean Paré. But, like all my other recipes, I’ve tweaked this recipe over the years to make it mine!


Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
grated orange rind of 2 oranges
1 3/4 cups chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
Juice of 2 oranges and sour milk to make a total of 1 3/4 cups.*

Combine dry ingredients. Stir in the grated orange rind and the chocolate chips.

Combine wet ingredients.

Mix the two just to combine.

Divide batter into 24-28 paper lined muffin cups.

Bake 18 -20 minutes at preheated 375F oven or until toothpick test shows they are done. Cool on wire rack.

These are great warm or you can freeze them and thaw as needed. Just loosen the paper liner and heat in a microwave for about 10-12 seconds on high before serving.

*Note: Once I have juiced the oranges, I generally have about 3/4 to 1 cup of juice. I then add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and then top it off with enough 1% milk to make the 1 3/4 cups required. I let it stand for a few minutes before adding to the other wet ingredients.

Enjoy!

dn

No comments: