Sunday, September 30, 2012

Thankful



A week from tomorrow - Monday October 8, 2012 is Thanksgiving here in Canada.

A time for us to gather and give thanks for our family, friends and so many other things in our lives.

For some though, it can be hard to give thanks when there is so much struggle in this world we share.

Weather has hampered crops. Unemployment has severely limited resources and caused untold hardship for many. Disagreements have created distance among families, friends and nations.

Medical issues have altered lives. Then there are those who have lost loved ones. So many people that I know have lost someone they love in recent times. A woman lost her mother unexpectedly. Parents lost a son in a tragic auto accident. An elderly mother lost her daughter. A man lost his favourite aunt. A man lost his best friend of almost 40 years. A teenager lost her father. A woman had to say goodbye to her beloved furry friend and a man said goodbye to his feathered friend.

I could go on but you get the point.

Life circumstances or losing someone that you love makes it difficult to celebrate a time of Thanksgiving.

Regardless of how or when they left us, there is an emptiness that can become even larger as we gather to give thanks.

The loss is very real but the memories of those who have passed on can also help to fill the void they have left behind. The things you shared in common - be it a love of family and friends, an interest or companionship. Even the things you disagreed about can still bring a smile if you allow yourself to be thankful for the times you shared.

This year I will especially be missing my mom. It is almost a year since she passed. I miss her terribly. There are so many times I wish I could call her. But, I am SO thankful for all of the years that she was part of my life and for all she taught me and the rest of our family.

This year, I have much to be thankful for.

Though my health issues can be frustrating and occasionally overwhelming, I am thankful that I can still do so many things on my own.

I am thankful for my physical and emotional independence.

I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, a soft place to lay my head at night, food in my pantry and clean water to drink.

I am thankful that my mom and grandma taught me to cook and bake. And that they taught me to experiment with recipes!

I am thankful for our Canadian health care system.

I am thankful to live in a democratic country with freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

I am thankful for CJNU - a nostalgia radio station that gives it's listeners countless hours of entertainment.

I am thankful for my love of music. It keeps me company, energizes me and comforts my soul.

I am thankful that I inherited my maternal grandfathers gift for putting thoughts and stories into printed words.

I am thankful for my sense of humour! It is an ice breaker, relieves tension and keeps me (somewhat) sane!

I am thankful for technology such as my computer that allows me to connect with friends and family both near and far. It allows me to be creative and stay up to date with what is going on in the world.

I am thankful for my amazing family and friends. They have helped me in so many ways. They have offered their time and resources. Most of all, they have given me unconditional love and support when I most needed it. I really don't know how I would have gotten through the years - and especially this past year or two without them!

I am thankful for the family and friends who check up on me if they haven't heard from me for a few days or can't reach me by phone. It's always nice to know you have been missed!

I am thankful for the random acts of kindness - not just towards me, but towards all citizens. The clerks who remember you and ask how you are or if you need any help. People who offer their seats on the bus, to help someone cross a street or who needs directions or assistance.

I am thankful for the beauty of the four seasons and especially for Autumn: 

It is easy to get so busy or be overwhelmed with our day to day living and responsibilities that we lose sight of how much we truly have in this world.

Life and circumstances can change in a heartbeat.

We need to stop ... take a deep breath ... look around our own little world and take stock of all that we have been given. Not just the material things but also the love, support and friendships of the people in our lives.

We need to tell the people in our lives that they are appreciated and loved. That we are thankful that they are a part of the fabric of our lives.

There is much to be thankful for ... if we only open our hearts and our minds to what surrounds us.

As we move towards Thanksgiving and beyond, my wish for you is that you will also find a true abundance of things to be thankful for and that you will share that abundance with those around you. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

dn

2 comments:

colleen Walker said...

lovely post dn...i enjoyed reading it and watching the slideshow. yes, there is much to be thankful for on this earth. Happy Thanksgiving to you. xx

goozer said...

Thanks for "Thankful" - although this is not my favourite season, you remind us all of the importance of taking stock of all of the wonder around us. Your slide show is gorgeous!