Sunday, October 3, 2010

Autumn Skillet Dinner

A couple of weeks ago I was debating what to make for supper. I was looking for something I’d never made before yet simple - but also knew I had to use up a couple of small apples and I’d already set out pork chops. I checked out a number of my cookbooks and a couple of recipe sites on the web. There were lots of recipes to choose from, but nothing seemed to jump out and say “Make Me!!”

Then I recalled seeing a recipe for a “Stuffing-Topped Pork & Apple Skillet” in a recent Kraft What’s Cooking email. I checked out the recipe on line and it sounded interesting but it called for a Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil Fig Balsamic Dressing. I’m not a fan of figs so would never buy that type but I did have several other dressings in the fridge and knew that at least one of them would work! As usual, I made several other changes to the recipe and came up with my own version!

So here is what I came up with:

Autumn Skillet Dinner

1/4 cup Kraft Sweet Onion Vinaigrette or Italian dressing, divided
4 boneless pork chops (1 lb./450 g), 1/2 inch thick*
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
2/3 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
2 teaspoons chopped garlic (bottled type found in produce section)
1 1/2 cups unpeeled, diced apple (2 small or 1 large)
1/4 cup Water
1 Tablespoons margarine (plus some water – see directions for details)
1 pkg. (120 g) Stove Top Lower Sodium Stuffing Mix for Chicken

Heat large skillet on high heat. Add 2 Tablespoons Dressing and chops cook 3 min. Turn the chops and add the onion, red pepper and mushrooms, stirring veggies occasionally until chops are almost done.

Add garlic and apples to skillet. Combine the remaining 2 Tablespoons dressing with 1/4 cup water and add to skillet; stir. Cook on medium-low heat 3 min., stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, melt the margarine on medium heat in the microwave then add enough water to make ¾ cup. Add the liquid to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the stuffing mix. Stir into the apple/veggie mixture until stuffing is coated with liquid. Turn off the heat and cover skillet with lid. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir to fluff stuffing/apple/veggie mix. Serve with the pork chops and a green vegetable or tossed salad.

Serves 4

*This could also be made with Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Enjoy!

dn

No comments: