Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Bucket List

Last year there was a movie called "The Bucket List" starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The movie got mixed reviews, but the concept of having a "Bucket List" has actually been around for a long time. For the uniniciated, a "Bucket List" is a list of things that you would like to see, do or acomplish before you die or "kick the bucket". Some people start these lists at a youbg age and others start them later in life. They are often revamped and edited due to health and finance but the concept is still the same.

I have a list in my mind but I've never said more than a couple of things out loud or put it in print. I've considered writing out the list several times over the years and more or less dismissed it as dreams that could never be fulfilled. Many of the things I'd like to be able to do are just to far out of my financial and physical capabilities. Not everything on the list would be impossible for me, but it is the things I know I'll never do that have stopped me from putting this list on paper.

Since I have now reached the proverbial top of the hill - age 50 - and am about to begin the so called decent into old age, I've reconsidered and decided what the hell! I'll write the list! Some items are doable but most are of the "if money were no object" variety! So, here goes, this is;
"My Bucket List"!
As a music lover there are a lot of performers that I wish I'd gotten to see while they were still touring or before they died. However, there are still several musical artists and groups that I'd like to see. These include: Tony Bennett; Bette Midler; Rod Stewart; kd lang; Michael Buble; James Taylor, John Prine, The Chenille Sisters; Chicago, Crosby, Stills and Nash; The Glenn Miller Tribute Orchestra. There are a few artists that I've already seen and would love to see again: Connie Kaldor; Ferron; Holly Cole; Leonard Cohen; Roy Forbes; Bruce Cockburn; Tuck & Patti.

I'd do a lot of travelling!
- Scotland. Ireland and England are where most of my ancestors came from in the 1700's and 1800's. I'd love to travel through the cities and countryside where my ancestors lived. I'm not sure I'd like a lot of the food and I've always hated the bagpipes but I'd still like to go!
- Switzerland, Austria and Belgium are known for beautiful scenery, fine craftsmanship in watches, jewellery and some of the best chocolate in the world! I'm not up to mountain climbing and am a bit scared of heights but I'd still love the scenery and the chocolate!
- Australia is a country that I'd love to explore. I know several people who have been and they rave about the beauty and the wonderful people.
- United States. I've only been to the USA a few times, but there are several states that I'd like to visit. I was in Colorado for a week in the summer of 1977 and I've always wanted to go back. I'd also love to see:
Alaska - would like to be there to celebrate the longest and shortest days of the year.
Arizona - my sister and brother-in-law have been wintering there for years. I know many people who rave about the area.
New Mexico - would love to go to the hot air balloon festival
California - I'd like to see LA, San Fransisco and other areas of the state but hope there isn't an earthquake while I'm there!
New York - I'd like to see the city and of course I'd visit my nephew who lives nearby.
Washington - would like to see Spokane, Seattle and the country side.

Canada - There are lots of places here in my own country that I'd love to see. I'd love to got to the Maritime's and also to Montreal in the east. I'd love to go to Vancouver, Victoria and Salt Spring Island in British Columbia. I'd stop in Calgary to see my niece and her family. If I could I'd take a Via Rail trip across Canada to see the whole country!

If I could, I'd travel north to see Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba. I'd watch the sunrise in the east as I dip my toes in the Atlantic Ocean. I'd watch the sunset in the west as I walk along the Pacific Ocean shoreline. I'd travel to South America or Antarctica to see Penguins in their natural habitat.

I used to think I'd like to go for a ride in a hot air balloon, but there have been a number of accidents (some fatalities and serious injuries) in the last few years so not so sure about that one anymore!

There is an antique train called the "Prairie Dog Central" that travels on weekends from summer through fall. The trip is only a couple of hours each way, but it travels the prairie countryside and offers a stop at a country market. I'd love this trip any time but especially in the autumn when the leaves are turning.

I want to take a horse drawn carriage ride and a sleigh ride. I want to make snow angels and see the annual Christmas lights display at the Red River Ex Grounds.

I haven't been mini golfing or ten pin bowling since the late 1980's. I was never that great at either but I enjoyed them and would love to try playing again.

I'd like to go back to visit Camp Koinonia on Max Lake and walk the paths that I walked 30 years ago and sit at a camp fire on Koinonia Hill.

I'd love to find a way to enjoy walking in the great outdoors the way I did before loosing so much of my sight. I know I'd have to have someone with me to at the least alert me to obstacles but it would also have to be someone who enjoys the serenity and has a similar pace. I love walking in the leaves, the gentle rain, the snow or pretty much any time of year, I'd walk in the early dawn, the cool of the evening and by the light of the moon.
I want to spend quality time with my friends and family - the people I love. I want to laugh and talk with them. I want to hug them and tell them just how much I love them and what their presence in my life has meant to me.

I want to wile away the evening hours sitting by the glow and warmth of a wood burning fireplace (preferably in the arms of someone I love and who loves me!).

One more time, I'd love to be able to enjoy the "companionship" of someone special.....

So that is my list. Some of it is complete fantasy and some more realistic. Some would cost a fortune and others a few dollars. Some would take weeks or days and others only a few hours. Most of us have no idea how much time we have left. Knowing can be both a blessing and a curse. So live each day to the fullest and treasure the time you have. Experience life while you can. That way you won't someday be thinking; "I wish I would have...."

dn

No comments: