Monday, February 18, 2008

I read an interesting article in Saturday's Winnipeg Free Press. It was titled "How do I love thee? Let me do the chores?"

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/life/story/4127150p-4720648c.html

Here is a short quote to give you an idea of the article;

"I think most men aren't aware of how powerful these efforts can be," says Joy Davidson, a New York-based sex therapist.
"If you said, 'By increasing your help with daily chores by 30 per cent, you'll increase your sex frequency by 50 per cent,' how many men would dismiss that? Probably not too many."

Hmm... I think they may be on to something here. I'm single but I hate doing the cleaning and other chores. I do clean on a regular basis, but am I a good housekeeper? Well I'm not a slob but I'm no "Bree Van de Kamp" either. I think I'm somewhere in the middle. By the time I can actually see the dirt, the dust bunnies have built condos! I usually feel the dirt/grime long before I can see it. So having a guy around to help out with the chores might not be such a bad idea.

According to the article, the fringe benefits are pretty good. Would having a man around make that much difference? Unless, he was raised by a smart mother who taught him how to cook and clean up his own messes, then probably not. I've known men who can barely boil water, let alone put dirty clothes in a hamper. They are more trouble than they are worth!

Okay, I don't want an "Oscar Maddison" or a "Felix Unger" Something in the middle would be nice.

He'd have to do his own ironing, mending and hand washing for clothes. I own an iron but rarely use it. I haven't touched a needle and thread since Grade 11 back in the 70's! If I can, I usually offer to bake/cook for someone who will iron/mend/hand wash clothes. He'd have to be able to cook too. And I don't mean opening a can or heating something in the microwave! Preparing meals and other chores would be a lot more interesting with a man helping out.

There are drawbacks to any situation though. Is he capable of remembering to put the toilet seat down? That is a must if you are going to be with a blink! I am sure I could come up with several more drawbacks if I put my mind to it, but right now all I can think about are the fringe benefits!

Sigh.....

I wonder what the male equivalent of a french maid's outfit is?

dn

No comments: